Can You Hear Me Now?


If Mennonites take pride in anything (which they don’t because pride is a sin), it’s being known for being people of the Book. And by book, I mean the Bible. They also might be a wee bit prideful (but in a humble way) of their green and luscious lawns. Seriously. I don’t know how they do it but almost any Mennonite community has perfectly kept and manicured yards.

I digress, back to the people-of-the-book thing. I grew up thinking the only way God would speak to me was through the Bible and only if you were super, super, super holy did the Lord speak to you in words that was meant just for you. Like Abraham, or Moses; sort of like David but he had his own prophet so I don’t know if that counts.

I wasn’t used to hearing God; I also wasn’t listening for it either - except of course, when I read the Bible. It worked and I believe that God speaks through his written word but I’ve learned there is a difference between logos and rhema.  Logos is the written word, the Bible, if you will and rhema is the applied word – the fresh word from God. Theologians and linguistics may explain the differences better than I, but no one can explain away the first time I remember hearing specifically from God.

This week on Kingdom Bloggers, we are guest posting at Tracy Chiara’s site, Abundant Living. Click here to read about the first time I heard God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love is Forced

May I Have Another Serving of Law, Please?

God Makes a Way