Who Are You Really?

I am Canadian and today is Canada Day. In a few days, our American neighbours will celebrate Independence Day (their national birthday, not Will Smith’s movie) and I thought it was an appropriate lead-in to July’s theme of identity. Who are you really?

Like any nation, the world (and by world, I mean Americans) has a stereotype of Canadians: we’re nice and say ‘pardon me’ all the time, we’re very serious and don’t cut loose very often, we can skate and play hockey even in the summer, we live in igloos and drive a dogsled to work, there is snow year-round, we say ‘oot and a boot’ and ‘eh’, we speak French, and we eat maple syrup on everything.

Some of it is true (we’re generally nice people and we do say ‘pardon me’) but most of it’s not. Canadians have a sophisticated sense of humour (perhaps that’s why Americans don’t understand it). We poke fun at ourselves quite a bit; something Americans can’t seem to do.

Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves for we shall never cease to be amused.

I can’t skate and have never played hockey in the summer. We are not covered in snow year round. In fact, Atlanta, GA, received more snow this year than where I live. I’ve never seen a real igloo and never driven a dog-sled. I have never said ‘oot and a boot’; I don’t even know what that means. I learned French in school and haven’t spoken it since. I like maple syrup but only on French toast and pancakes.





I am Canadian, but I am more.  

I am a wife, a mother, a friend, a daughter, a sister, a helper, a consumer, a writer, a crafter, a butcher, a baker and a candle stick maker. I am a reader, a dreamer, a comforter, a dog-lover but not a cat-lover (not even a cat-liker). I am a camper, an adventurer, a traveler, a spa lover but not a paid worker. I am a home owner, a landlord, a caretaker but not a gardener. I am a worshipper, a Sunday School teacher, a leader, a healer, a dream interpreter, and a giver. I am a Christian.

This month, we are going to look at the labels we give ourselves and if they are different than the labels God gives to us. Check back every Tuesday and Friday for new posts about identity.

When you are asked to describe yourself, what do you say? What topics/areas should be covered this month? I value your input and feedback.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love is Forced

May I Have Another Serving of Law, Please?

God Makes a Way