Why Heaven Isn't for You

I have a friend named Jay; he’s one of my closest friends, if not my best friend. At first glance, Jay isn’t much to look at – he’s probably 145lbs soaking wet but he’s the type of guy you have to get to know before you realize the kind of crazy crap he gets himself (and everyone with him) into. You never know what he’s going to do next. He has a great sense of humour, can quote lines from every movie and he knows how to barbeque a great swordfish. Not only are the good times great, when I need to talk about serious stuff, he listens and always says the perfect thing to make me feel better – it’s like he knows my mind. Many of my other friends know him too and they love hanging out with him, but not everyone. 

He told me about one time he was a party, it was a wedding actually. Jay grew up in a small town, and you know how it goes - everyone goes to a social event. The evening is winding down, everyone is drunk or at least tipsy, and Jay’s mother starts complaining that the punchbowl was getting low – like what was Jay going to do? Then Jay tells me that he went over to the water bottles and started dumping them into the punch. When I heard that, I thought that was gutsy and hilarious. The funniest part, he said, was that people didn’t even notice; they thought the punch tasted better.

Now imagine being stranded on an island with him – just you and Jay. It might not be too bad for a few days or even a week but after that you’d go a little squirrelly. Jay isn’t your friend, you don’t have history with him in regular life and he wouldn’t be your 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice. Likewise, if you told me about someone you have good memories with, I’d appreciate your stories but I wouldn’t want to spend eternity with him or her. 

That is exactly why heaven isn’t for everyone. Sure, we’ve all seen media interpretations of heaven – it looks pretty and our every desire is fulfilled. The Bible also describes heaven as extravagance and opulence that is not seen in our world but the main attraction of heaven is Jesus. Jesus is what gives heaven its razzle dazzle. Jesus is the temple, and the source of light. He is the First and Last, the Beginning and the End. Without Jesus there is no heaven. In heaven, it’s ‘all Jesus, all the time’.

Heaven is an eternity with Jesus. If you don’t know him on earth, why would you want to spend eternity with him? Not only is heaven about being with Jesus, it’s about continual worship of Jesus, the King. Nawww, heaven definitely isn’t for you.

Revelation 4:8, “Day and night, they never stop saying: Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.”

Revelation 21:3, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them.”

But, if you know Jesus in this life, then you understand Paul when he says, to live is Christ and to die better. Why is it better? Because that’s where the party with Jesus never stops.

If you aren’t sure what it means to have a relationship with Jesus, you can click here, or contact me at andrea(at)andreayork.com and I would be delighted to discuss a personal relationship with Jesus.

What are your views on heaven? What is it that you look forward to?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love is Forced

May I Have Another Serving of Law, Please?

God Makes a Way