"Excuse Me Sir, You've Left Something Behind"


When I go into a store and look at a price tag on an item I would like to buy, I make an evaluation whether I believe the item in question is worth the value listed on the price. If the value is equal or greater than the price, I make the purchase. If not, I pass on the item in that store and see if I can find the item in a different store for a better price.

Business transactions are conducted a bit differently within the large Indian population and community’s close by. I learned this when I purchased my first saree. I went into a shop, saw a price of less than $75 for a beautiful beaded saree. I perceived it to be a good value, so I was prepared to make the purchase. Fortunately I had an Indian friend with me and she stepped up to start negotiations. I walked out of the shop with a saree that I paid $35 for.

I am grateful I had an Indian friend who made the negotiations for me. In my naivety, I would have accepted a lesser bargain than I could have received. Unfortunately, many Christians find themselves in the same predicament – we accept less than what was already paid for at the cross.

The New Testament uses the word sozo 106 times. Sozo is a Greek word, which means saved, healed and delivered. Sozo has the implication that all three actions are happening simultaneously but many translations choose to limit the word and translate it as [spiritual] salvation. The result is Christians receive spiritual salvation however, it’s only partial completion. Physical healing and inner deliverance are also implied but we’re not taught to expect them, so we don’t look for them.

Matthew 1:21, She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save (sozo) his people from their sins.”
Mark 10:52, “Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed (sozo’d) you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.
Luke 8:36, Those who had seen it told the people how the demon-possessed man had been cured (sozo’d).

The only college class I ever received a 100% grade was Business Law (yes, I’m bragging, and yes I’ll confess my pride later). I don’t remember much of what I knew 100% except if a shop had a sale for 50% off everything in their store and advertised in the local paper but you failed to see the advertisement, it was not the shop’s responsibility to inform you about the sale at the time of purchase.

I believe Satan works overtime to prevent us from seeing the whole truth and what’s truly available for those who believe. Reading the Scripture with [spiritual] eyes wide open is like my Indian friend who helped me receive the price the shop owner would have expected to sell the saree.

Isn’t this awesome news? We are saved, healed and delivered because Jesus came for us. Church will look a lot different when we see truth manifested. Evangelism will look different when the truth is manifest. Instead of people looking for the best religious value, where what Christians offer is not much different than the rest of the religious smorgasbord, they will be saved, healed & delivered in one step. It really is that easy.

How do you feel when you learn you`ve been denied a benefit that should have been yours all along?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love is Forced

May I Have Another Serving of Law, Please?

God Makes a Way