Shiny, Happy People...the Christmas letter boast

For the past decade our family has written a Christmas letter. It started when my Boy was born. We called it the New Yorker (Andrea York, get it?); it’s a double-sided page and formatted with articles (like the magazine) and each member contributes their unique voice. Like every other Christmas letter you receive, it’s a boast summary of the things we did throughout the year.

This year, I wrote something different and this is what I leave you with for 2010. I’m taking a week off from writing until January 1. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
 
*******


The New Yorker, issue 1, volume 10  winter 2011

I wrote a short (but humourous) synopsis of the past year and the activities we did as a family and some things I did on my own but it felt flat, dull and lacked life; and it wasn’t what I really wanted to say.  My man and my Boy wrote about what did this year, so you can read it by them.

I love my life and I’m blessed among women to have what I have and a husband who loves me so much it’s ridiculous but all of it pales in comparison to the one thing that truly brings me joy and the one thing I love to boast.

In May, I had an encounter with the Living God. I couldn’t explain then what happened and I can’t explain now what happened but I am changed. According to examples in the Bible, an encounter with God always changed people so I’m in good company.

I did things and saw things but the one thing I can boast about my life, it is Christ crucified and resurrected and I with him. The life I live is no longer my own but Christ lives in me. Most of my year and the majority of my days were spent in prayer and worship. For many people, it sounds boring and incomprehensible. I need to worship, like I need to breathe. There is nothing I can do without my Lord; moreover there is nothing I want to do outside of Christ.

In October I drove 11 hours through the night to be at Bethel Church (Redding, CA). I went to church 5 times in the weekend and drove home in the night on Sunday. It was one of the greatest times I’ve had because the presence of God accompanied me the whole time. If anyone would have told me years ago I’d take a vacation to go to church, I wouldn’t have believed them; vacation was the only time we didn’t have to go to church.

If you want to know my heart, read my blog. I am learning so much from God, I’m compelled to write it down. If it’s true for me, it must be true for others, otherwise I am to be pitied most of all for being completely and 100% deceived by a lie. My identity is Christ, and I live by his Word only. I only want to do and say the things I see my Father doing and saying.

This isn’t my usual letter; if you think I’m crazy, you might be right but don’t worry. I haven’t moved to the desert and started eating honey and locusts or wearing camel’s hair clothing. I haven’t [completely] lost touch with reality and I still have a sense of humour.

Merry Christmas; may God keep you and make his face to shine upon you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love is Forced

May I Have Another Serving of Law, Please?

God Makes a Way