When You Have Done Everything...Stand


Some days I wake up with an overwhelming and persistent thought; this morning was one of those days. It’s remnant of a dream I can’t completely recall but over and over, I found myself reciting the last half of Ephesians 6:13, “and when you have done everything, to stand.”

It’s a reminder to me, for sure, but I believe it’s a word for many who are struggling with trials right now. To my right and to my left, friends and comrades in the battle are falling, wounded and beat up. They are too tired to get up and continue fighting; it’s exhausting and weariness sets deep in the soul.

The Holy Spirit reminds us (through Paul) to keep standing.  Standing may not feel victorious – it’s passive and not effective at advancing territory but sometimes standing is the victory. John Keating (portrayed by Robin Williams) from Dead Poets’ Society says standing reminds himself to see things in a different way.  

What different way could we see if we keep standing?

1 Chronicles 20:17, Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out and face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you.

Interesting, don’t you think? Paul writes to put on the armour of God and when we have done all to stand your ground, to stand. Why? Because that’s when the deliverance of the Lord will come.

So if you are feeling beaten down and you’ve done everything you know how to do, stand and see the deliverance of the Lord in your situation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love is Forced

May I Have Another Serving of Law, Please?

God Makes a Way