Practice Acts of Kindness


Random acts of kindness is not dead.

A few weeks ago, I was in a shop but was $2 short to pay for my purchases. I told the clerk, I would come back later for that item but the gentleman behind me offered to pay the difference. The man was insistent and I gratefully accepted, and as I walked out of the store, I thanked the Lord for there are still people willing to show kindness to others.

Looking around our culture, and the worries and anxieties we carry about health and wealth which cause us to be self centred and thinking only about what’s in it for me, it’s easy to become disillusioned the world is a terrible place.

My Man and I work for a company who is at odds with a former company member. We’re caught in the middle; each side wants us to be on board with their cause. In a discussion with a company representative in regards to the former member, I was called naive for showing kindness to the other. They said, the person in question had not reciprocated kindness to me. I replied, “I choose kindness, whether or not it is returned to me is not the issue.”

Kindness is a fruit of the Spirit but it must be exercised to be developed. The Greek lexicon defines kindness as the act of doing something beneficial for another person.  We have an example of kindness in God.

Romans 2:4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?

The benefit of God’s kindness towards us is to open a way to repentance, which in turn opens up the possibility for a relationship with Him, which is our ultimate benefit. There is no other benefit better apart than a relationship with God. Since we have an example of kindness from God, let us pursue opportunities to do likewise.

I’m reminded of an old campfire song, “It only takes a spark to get a fire going.” (Great, now I have the song in my head, it will probably replay all day.) Pay kindness forward is a marvellous attitude; keep the momentum so the fruit grows and expands.

What are some of the ways you’ve been shown kindness by others?

Comments

  1. someone sent me a cd of a blesssed sermon through the mail.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Love is Forced

May I Have Another Serving of Law, Please?

God Makes a Way