Winner Takes All


I just spent a few days with my college roommate. We used to play a lot of card games. Sometimes we’d play one game and sometimes we play as many as eight games. She could never figure out why it was so random until she realized I like to play until I win (for the record, it wasn’t a conscious thing on my part). If it takes only once – great; but if it takes more, we keep playing until I come out the winner. She still loves to razz me about this little fact but I make no apologies. I’m a winner and I know it.

As Christians, it’s in our DNA to be victorious. It’s not our right to lose but it is our inheritance to win. From the first commission God gave to Adam in the garden – to multiply and subdue the earth – we’ve been destined to come out on top. The one who subdues is the one who claims victory.

We are victorious; gloriously victorious in Christ. Daniel 7:22 tells us the Ancient of Days was seated [on his throne] and pronounced judgement in favour of the saints of the Most High. Sometimes you need to read between the lines so let me unpack the verse for you. It means the Ancient of Days, the Judge of all points to his saints (that includes anyone who is a believer and follower of Jesus) and says, “You Win!” We win. Yippee ki yay! Let’s go out and celebrate with beer and a pizza.

If it’s not clear enough yet, it’s repeated again in the New Testament. 2 Corinthians 2:14 says he (God) always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ. Again, sometimes you need to read between the lines so once again let me unpack that one. God, the Father leads us in a victory lap because we are the victors in Christ.

As I’ve started to grasp this (I say started to grasp because I’m still learning to live in this truth) the world changed. Truly we have no fear but a spirit of love, power and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7) and we no longer have to shrink back and be destroyed (Hebrews 10:39). Rather since we know the place we have in history and we are jealous for the name of our God and for treasures of heaven and we push back the gates of hell, giving us greater and greater territory.

Jesus demonstrated what it looked like. He commanded the storm to be silent and walked on water demonstrating his authority over the elements – elements that were worshipped as gods by the nations around him. He healed all the sick and demented who came to him, proving even sickness, disease and mental illness was no match for him. He multiplied food to feed thousands, proving he had infinite resources the world could not know about, and he got money from a fish’s mouth showing us that even nature submitted to him.

We are equipped because Jesus is living in and through us to enable us to stand against the enemy and win. He already said it was finished. How long will you wait before you take your rightful place on the winner’s podium?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love is Forced

May I Have Another Serving of Law, Please?

God Makes a Way